Thursday, February 08, 2007

Call unto Me

I received a new book today and I am excited to have time to study it--it is Charles Spurgeon's prayers! It opens with a lecture, "The golden key of prayer," based on Jeremiah 33:3, "Call unto Me, and I will answer thee and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not." I must read it in depth, but a quote I will leave with you before I put clothes in the dryer and a few other chores before bed--

God's own people need, or else they would not receive it, a command to pray.
How is this? Because, dear friends, we are very subject to fits of worldliness, if indeed that be not our usual state. (STEPPING ON ANY TOES YET? MINE HURT) We do not forget to eat: we do not forget to take the shop shutters down: we do not forget to be diligent in business: we do not forget to go to our beds to rest: but we often do forget to wrestle with God in prayer, and to spend, as we ought to spend, long periods in consecrated fellowship with our Father and our God....hours for the world! Moments for Christ! The world has the best, and our closet the parings of our time. We give our strength and freshness to the ways of mammon, and our fatigue and languor to the ways of God. Hence it is that we need to be commanded to attend to that very act which ought to be our greatest happiness, as it is our highest privilege to perform, viz, to meet with our God.

Ah! This book is going to be quite stimulating! More to come....

4 Comments:

Blogger faith said...

I was about to post about this Thomas Watson book we are reading. It says, "Men think it a shame to be ignorant of their trade, but no shame to be ignorant of God."

But you have this saving, sanctifying knowledge flourishing in you, BLESS GOD FOR IT; this is the heavenly anointing. The most excellent objects cannot be seen in the dark, but when the light appears, then every flower shines in its native beauty. So while men are in teh midnight of a natural state, the beauty of holiness is hidden from them; but when the light of the Spirit comes in a saving manner, then those truths which they slighted before appear in that glorious lustre, and transport them with wonder and love.
Bless God you saints, that he has removed your spiritual cataracts and has enabled you to discern those things which by nature's spectacles you could never see

It is a mecy you can never be thankful enough for, that god has so enlightened you tat you shold not sleep the sleep of death."

Okay, I didn't mean to post that much. But there is a highlight of what I am about to post in a few days. When I have more time. haha. I'll just come here and cut and paste and then add a few of my own thoughts. It is funny that your post was so similar to mine, that is why I had to post.

Love you and miss you.

Keep me in your prayers.
I have a lot to do and think about!!

9:37 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

AMEN. I am praying for you and love you!

5:16 AM  
Blogger myroaring20s said...

Amazing! I was just thinking about how I always do some things but don't always put priority on reading scripture, as in my time of importance. I was pondering this this morning as I was crunched for time and was putting on make-up and planning to use the time left over to study my Bible. Well, I still put on my make-up but I did a short version and learned so much from reading! (I'm going through Isaiah) Love you!

4:40 AM  
Blogger kate said...

very inspiring blog--yours and your mom's--keep it comin" xo, Kate

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home